Our church dates back to 1753, when most of the residents of the Canadochly Valley were German settlers. In this year, a warrant was issued by the William Penn family for 25 acres of land for the use of the Reformed and Lutheran congregations. The two congregations held their divine services in a schoolhouse until numbers and finances permitted them to build a log church on this property in 1763.
The congregation remained a Union Church for 154 years. In the summer of 1907 the Canadochly Reformed Congregation purchased land just west of the union church property and erected the beautiful brick church that is still in use to this day.
The church became part of the Evangelical and Reformed Church upon the denomination's formation in 1934. This denomination was formed by the union of the Reformed Church and the Evangelical Church of North America. At that time we took the name Canadochly Evangelical and Reformed Church. Then, in June of 1957, the Evangelical and Reformed Church united with the Congregational Christian Churches to become the United Church of Christ. At this point, the church became part of that denomination and took on the name Canadochly United Church of Christ.
Because of differences in doctrine and the practice of our faith, the congregation voted to leave the United Church of Christ in 2000. On January 1, 2001 we became an independent church. In keeping with our Reformed heritage, we adopted a name from the past, Canadochly Evangelical & Reformed Church.